2017/2018 Southern Garrett Wrestling

2017/2018 Southern Garrett Wrestling

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Senior Focus - Tanner Massey



Tanner Massey is the son of Wes and Yolanda Massey and is a four year member of the Southern Garrett wrestling team.  He was a varsity starter during his sophomore and junior years and he looks to lead the team to a successful season as a senior.  Last year, Tanner posted an impressive 26-14 record and qualified for the state tournament in March.  In the fall, he ran on Southern's cross country team to keep himself in shape as he enters his final high school wrestling season.

Q&A with Tanner Massey

  1. When did you start wrestling?  "I started wrestling in the 1st grade for the Southern Mat Club.  My friend Coy Ozias talked me into it.  I didn't know anything about it, but I had fun and kept going."
  2. Why did you stick with it?  "I had fun and it's a great sport.  I also like to be challenged and wrestling is the perfect sport to be challenged and to challenge myself."
  3. Who are your inspirations?  "All my coaches inspire me and work every day to help me be a better wrestler.  I can't thank them enough.  Bubba and Brutus Scheffel and Coy and Lex Ozias also inspire me.  They are great wrestlers and great kids and we have been friends forever."
  4. Who would you like to thank?  "I want to thank all the coaches who have worked with me, trained me and encouraged me to be a good wrestler.  I also want to thank my parents for always supporting me and being there for me.  Finally, I would like to thank all my teammates for making the whole thing fun and pushing me to work hard and get better."
  5. Do you have any words of wisdom for other wrestlers?  "Push yourself.  You will get sore and tired, but you need to push yourself past that.  Things will get better, you will get better.  Push yourself every day and you will be surprised at how good you can get."
  6. Who will be our team's leaders this year?  "Austin Shaffer is a great wrestler and leads by example.  Will Foulke and Justyce Fulmer are also really good at leading by example.  In fact, all of our seniors set a great example for our younger wrestlers.  I hope I can be a great team leader as well."
  7. What goals have you set for the season?  "I will work hard this year and really want to make it to the state finals, and hopefully win.  But I really want the team to do well and go to states and win a championship.  We have a good team and that's what we all want."
  8. What will you do after you graduate?  "On June 16th, I will enter the Marine Corps.  I have already signed all the papers and I am ready to go to Paris Island this summer and begin serving our country."

No comments:

Post a Comment