2017/2018 Southern Garrett Wrestling

2017/2018 Southern Garrett Wrestling

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Senior Focus - Austin Shaffer

Senior Austin Shaffer is the son of Joe and Kim Shaffer of Oakland.  Austin has wrestled on varsity each of the last three years and has qualified for states every year.  As a freshman, Austin wrestled at 112 despite weighing less than 100 pounds.  He had a very successful season, qualified for states and was one match away from placing.  As a sophomore, he went all the way and captured the state championship in the 106 pound class.  Last season, he suffered an elbow injury in the state tournament but was still able to place 3rd.  As he enters his final season at Southern Garrett, his sights are set on a repeat trip to the top of the podium in March at Cole Fieldhouse.  His career record currently stands at 113-13 and the win total looks to rise quickly this season.

Q&A with Austin Shaffer

  1. When did you start wrestling?  "I started wrestling for the Southern Mat Club somewhere around the 3rd or 4th grade.  I picked wrestling because I knew I was too small for most other sports.  I started going and I fell in love with it."
  2. Who inspires you?  "Of course Coach Taylor!  My mom and dad are also a huge inspiration to me in wrestling and in my life.  I wouldn't be here without them"
  3. Who will be the team leaders this year?  I hope to be a strong senior leader and I think Tanner Massey and the rest of the seniors on our team will do a great job"
  4. What wrestler has had the biggest influence on you?  "I would have to say Daniel Carr.  He was a great wrestler and a great role model and has been like a big brother to me.  He has really helped me both in wrestling and in my life."
  5. What are your goals this season?  "I am shooting for another state championship both as an individual and for our team.  I think we have a really good team and have a great shot at winning state duals again."
  6. What advice would you give new wrestlers?  "High school wrestling is awesome. It is so much different and so much better than youth wrestling.  Home meets are amazing and get a little scary but you have to rise above."
  7. What would you say to anyone thinking of joining our team?  "Do it, you will be glad you did.  It is so unique, just you and your opponent and nobody else.  It's MANO-A-MANO and is great for building your self-confidence,"
  8. What will you do after graduating from Southern?  "I will attend West Virginia University and wrestle with two of my former teammates, Bubba and Brutus Scheffel.  I will study Wildlife and Park Services."
  9. Is there anything else you would like to say?  "Here is a warning to other teams, Southern is looking good and you had better be ready for us.  Here come the Rams." 

No comments:

Post a Comment